Week 4

One of the most interesting things I learned from Software Engineering at Google is how seriously Google treats code reviews as a core part of engineering culture rather than just a formality. I was surprised to learn that code reviews are not only about finding bugs, but also about improving code readability, maintainability, and ensuring long-term ownership of the codebase.

In particular, the idea that reviewers focus on whether future engineers will understand and be able to maintain the code stood out to me. This shifts the mindset from just “making code work” to “making code sustainable.” I also found it interesting that Google encourages small, frequent code reviews instead of large ones, which helps improve quality and efficiency.

Overall, this changed how I think about collaboration in software development - code is not just written for machines to execute, but for other engineers to read, understand, and build upon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

Week 8